A nice Polish recipe to try !
POLISH RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 4 lbs sauerkraut
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 lb smoked pork
- 1 lb spareribs
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 1 can tomatoes (large)
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 4 lbs cabbage
- 1 lb pork loin chop or pork ribs
- 1 lb smoked kielbasa (sausage)
- 1/2 cup onions (chopped)
- 10 ounces mushrooms (fresh)
- 6 ounce mushrooms (dried)
- 2 tablespoons flour
1. Brown pork and spareribs in a large heavy pot.
2. Add smoked pork with 1 cup of water and simmer until 1 hour.
3. Add the sauerkraut and one cup apple juice.
4. Chop the cabbage fine and add to sauerkraut.
5. Add lots of pepper and salt cover and simmer 1 hour.
6. Remove lid and keep pot on a very low simmer.
7. In a pan, fry bacon until crisp, then crumble into sauerkraut mixture.
8. Remove most of the bacon fat and fry onions and mushrooms and flour until they just brown.
9. Mix into sauerkraut mixture.
10. Cut kielbasa into slices add to sauerkraut mixture with the tomatoes.
11. Bring to a boil, simmer 30 minutes and the Polish recipe of bigos is ready to serve hot...nice !